MavinsBlog

This Blog is no longer in use. Please go to http://69.89.31.103/~romanonl/andrewmavin/ There will be a .com address soon. Thanks for commenting here, hopefully we'll see you at the other place. cheers Andrew

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Something I havent done for Ages!

Music is an incredibly complex thing! Mid 2005 as part of the Singer Singwriters evenings here in Brussels, I was only playing 3 or 4 songs to a live audience once a week consisting of purely my own material . No worries, lyrics learnt, chords not an issue. This all stopped when I decided to go the whole hog and start performing full gigs mixing covers and original songs together. On Sunday I was asked to be involved in the brand new Singer Songwriters (it stopped about 6 months ago) along with Bai Kamara (www.baikamara.com) Steve Jones (www.saintonline.net) It means going back to about 30 minutes of original material. So last night, I had about one hour practise to come up with a set list ........

I couldn't do it! Too long have I been selling my soul playing covers! Of the 6 songs I picked I forgot the words to 3 of them, had to totally change the key of one, forgot the middle eight to one of them. These are songs that I do play in my sets but not altogether in a row. Why cant I do this simple task??? The Gig is on Wednesday ... thats tomorrow! I dont like practising on the day or the night before a gig (It's a Brass Band thing). Well, it looks like a busy night tonight. Any offer of suggestions will be gratefully recieved!

For those who read this who know my music .... I am thinking of doing "What the Hell"; "Under The Sun"; "Piece of Mind"; "Morning Blues"; "Baby, Steal My Heart"; "Here Today" .... Thoughts anyone?

2 Comments:

At 12:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I do use Words on stage ... but usually on for the covers. I will just have to break the code and practice tonight. You don't see Soul Doubt with these issues do you!

 
At 6:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my brother, and normally he isn't short for words especially being 6ft tall !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home