MavinsBlog

This Blog is no longer in use. Please go to http://69.89.31.103/~romanonl/andrewmavin/ There will be a .com address soon. Thanks for commenting here, hopefully we'll see you at the other place. cheers Andrew

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Yellowjackets

No, not a blog about odd coloured clothing, but again about music

I have recently purchased the 6th Harry Potter book on paperback and slowly wading my way through it during the 25 minute tram journey to and from work.

Being weak minded and lacking a certain amount of concentration, I cant read without instrumental music playing on my Discman ... (yes, I still have a discman) and so I am currently enjoying a revival of all my "Yellowjackets" CDs. They are an American Jazz / Fusion Quartet from the Mid-late 80's and are still going strong and producing some great material. http://www.yellowjackets.com



Because they have been going for around 25 years, their music reminds me a lot of different times in my life. I was listening to "Samurai Samba" which brought back memories of Newcastle School of Music and my old drum teacher Roger Hempsel who first introduced me to them. "Livewires" was one of my first CDs and was played pretty continously while Teacher training at Bretton Hall, "Like A River" when I was moving to Netherlands, "Greenhouse" (although came out much earlier) reminded me so much of Living on my own in Chester in the Soundproof Bungalow ..... Oh yes!

What music reminds you of special moments, times in your life? Interesting answers only please.

3 Comments:

At 10:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funnily enough, Yellowjackets always remind me of Summer! Dont know why, they just do. Have you got the new DVD / CD? Brill!

See Ya! Rachel

 
At 10:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Home Alabama by Lynard Skynard reminds me of the road trip I took 10 years ago in the US with my brother and two friends, going through California, Nevada and Arizona. Great trip. Acqua Marina by Santana reminds me of sitting in summer nights at the beach watching the sky.

see ya

Giovanni

 
At 4:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote a blog entry on the 12th March about the very same thing:- how music can affect you and make you retrieve memories from the deep recesses of your mind.
Scary, some of the thoughts that come flooding back. You either like them or hate them but then you realise how old you are getting when TOPT2 has them as archives. Then you find yourself saying music today isn't what it used to be, and remembering Pan's People !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home